11020 Legacy Drive – #302
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Telephone: 561-358-5578/Fax 305-647-0680
Course Title: Medical Errors
Continuing Education Credits: 3
Course Faculty: Mr. Kerry M. Wallis, M.S., LMHC, CAP, SAP, BRI-I
Delivery Method: ONLINE
The occurrence of medical errors in the healthcare field comprises the largest issue facing healthcare workers with regard to delivering safe, effective and efficient health care. The purpose of this course is to educate the student about medical information that will assist the healthcare worker to prevent medical errors. The course will explain terminology that the healthcare professional should be familiar with to identify best practices to reduce and prevent medical errors. This course was designed to educate those in the healthcare field and specifically the mental health field on the magnitude of medical errors, their adverse effects and methods to analyze errors in an effort to avoid costly medical errors.
Florida Statute requirements: Section 456.013(7), Florida Statutes, now requires completion of a two hour course relating to prevention of medical errors as part of the renewal process for licensure. The Board has amended rule 64B19-13.003, Florida Code (F.A.C.), to include this requirement
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Identify key terms used in association with medical errors.
- Perform a root cause analysis
- Define the process and benefit of multi-causal analysis (i.e. Root Cause, Sentinel Events)
- Describe the impact of medical errors and the effect it has on patient safety.
- Identify processes to approach error reduction and prevention.
- Learn techniques to conduct risk assessments.
- Identify areas where errors frequently occur and explore factors that impact the occurrence of medical errors.
- Explore what the mental health professional can do to ensure the safety of our clients.
- Describe some of the processes to improve patient outcomes.
|Unit 1||Medical Errors|
|Unit 2||Responding to Suicidal Risk|
|Unit 3||Progression of Suicidal Ideation|
|Unit 4||Risk Factors for Suicide|
|Module 2||Medical Errors|
|Unit 1||Medical Errors Quiz|
|Module 3||Medical Errors - Eval|
|Unit 1||Medical Errors Survey|